Tuesday, April 21, 2009

Road Trip!

Can I just tell you all how excited I was to get a short vacation with my husband? Even if I had to drive the 10 hours to Scottsdale it was SO worth it. John and I took tons of road trips while we were dating, and when I mean tons I'm not joking. We took countless trips to Oklahoma, 2 trips to Utah and back!

The hard part was having to take an earlier flight home on Wednesday and instead of it being wide open, a Delta flight had problems with it's plane and they moved everyone on to ours. A fully booked plane, I never felt so irritated in my life. But when we finally got home Alex and I were thrilled to see John, Alex was so excited and giggly it almost melted my heart.

We headed home and got Alex all packed for a little vacation at his grandparents and headed for to drop him off. After a fast goodbye (because if I knew I stayed to long I wouldn't leave!) I rushed home to realize John was locked out and he still hadn't packed. I was hungry, tired frustrated and ready to get this drive going! After we finally were on our way we played all kinds of games!

Yes what you are seeing is correct. We did barricade the door, I was too tired to find another hotel and so was John

Now let me just fill you in on our hotel. What a joke that place was, I thought I got a deal online when I booked and I was excited because I'd heard good things about it-- more like read really. I was so scared someone was going to break in I made John barricaded the door. I thought we booked our hotel closer to Scottsdale and I'd actually paid the wrong place. Biggest mistake of my life, we might as well of been in the ghetto. Sad to say when we tried to get the rest refunded they couldn't do it for some odd reason and we ended up being stuck there.. let's just say I will never stay at a Quality Inn again.


I love this picture.. it captured such a fun peaceful moment on an overcast day

John had originally needed to go down for business but decided it'd be more fun if we went together. We did get work done but we also had a really fun time together. We had tons of fun restaurants and fast food joints we loved. It's hard living in Utah and missing some good fast food, I almost never eat fast food anymore here it always just does something wrong to my stomach.

My favorite restaurant by far on our trip was Abuelo's, amazing Mexican which is hard to come by in Utah and such a peaceful atmosphere. I will say one thing though we ate at Cheesecake Factory and it was HORRIBLE. The service was ridiculous, and they sat us next to people having a party outside. No big deal right? Well after seeing 4 people with cameras taking pictures WITH THE FLASH I started going nuts. They took over 200 pictures in 5 minutes.. and this lasted 35 minutes long. They could of put the blinds down since it was night right? All the manager could do is come over after we finished our meal and ask if we wanted to be moved. Rude right? Not even "Can we give you a free dessert" or do something to make the experience better, we told our waitress at the beginning of our freaking meal, It had to of taken the guy 15 minutes to come see us! I'd rather eat at Grand Lux Cafe any day even if it cost more I've always got amazing food and the best service, who wouldn't pay more for a better overall experience?

Oh but that's not the icing on the cake, we went to iHop the next morning and boy was that horrible. I was SO excited to eat a good breakfast and relax, and our server was pretty nice. John and I ordered the Breakfast Sampler like always (we're creatures of habit) and some biscuit and gravy.. that was a mistake. I go to take a bite and THANK GOODNESS I looked at my food before I ate it. There was mold.. right on the biscuit. Lets just say I don't think I'll ever eat there again.

But lets focus on the positives


For some reason I thought this was hilarious and was SO glad John paid cash for gas.

We spent a few hours at Fashion Square Mall which was AMAZING, I couldn't help but buy a few things but I must say I was very proud of myself. I spent a considerable less amount then I expected and bought Alex nothing. Which is a first.. and you'll understand that later in a future post. But I decided all in all I would not live in Arizona unless it was Scottsdale, I have no need for the heat but Scottsdale and by far a place I could see myself living. It was honestly the perfect city and I loved every bit of it and did you know they're getting a Barney's there at the mall, I mean that mall has everything I could ever need. *sigh*

But all in all it was an amazing trip. On our way out we stopped by the Outlets which was amazing, I loved the BCBG store and couldn't believe they had a nice Harry & David store! I realized it was such a wonderful trip to be alone with my husband and enjoy his company. I actually missed Alex about 3 hours into the trip when I walked into a gas station bathroom and saw a changing table wondering if I should change my baby who wasn't with me. But I think I handled it pretty well all in all, I mean I didn't get a vacation for over a year since he'd been born!


If you can't tell I really didn't take many picture while I was there because I didn't want to lug my Nikon around with my purse and other stuff, but we did stop in random areas so I could get some beautiful shots of the cactus and sky. The one thing that did surprise both John and I was how beautiful the drive was. We didn't get a chance to really notice since we drove there during the night time, but boy was the daytime beautiful. We even got stuck in a white out, not once but twice!


A little surprised to see us

Alex didn't know what to think when we went to pick him up on Easter. I think he was a little upset with me more than anyone because I was the one who dropped him off. But he warmed up quite quickly and you could tell he really enjoyed himself with Grandma & Grandpa. I think him and Daisy even warmed up to each other and I was so surprised! All in all I got an amazing report from Grandma that he slept well, ate well and sure did play well. He learned to shake his finger when he says "no-no" (so hilarious) say "i like this", "i want this" , dog and other things. I also noticed his walking and running got a whole lot better too. I think he was even happier when we got home and he saw all the things we brought back for him.. he's so completely spoiled.


You have to blow this picture up to really appreciate it, I thought it was breath taking and I loved every moment of it. We were at a pretty high elevation and I took this from the car when we were on the highway. Yes, the car I can't believe it came out so well!

Well I feel good to be ALMOST caught up.. I still have a few more posts and then we can get into present time!

5 comments:

  1. Isn't it so nice to get away as a couple once in a while? I'm glad that you had a good time and I love the pictures. The hotel room barricade makes me laugh and creeps me out.

    ReplyDelete
  2. WOW! What a trip! I loved the door baricade! priceless!

    ReplyDelete
  3. sorry for the bad hotel stay! jake and i have had a couple interesting stays, also. glad you had fun!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, I forgot to say that I love your header:)

    ReplyDelete
  5. how fun!! i keep telling bradley we need to take a road trip, but he is still not convinced, so i am very jealous!!
    and that is such a cute picture of alex!! such an expression on his face!! haha!!

    ReplyDelete